Monday, March 07, 2011

Why did I take part in the Egyptian uprising?



Ever since I was a kid and having lived in Egypt all my life, trapped inside a corrupt system, surrounded by all the hot issues of the middle east I was curious, aware and then frustrated and desperate.

 My only dream and goal I worked so hard to achieve was to leave Egypt and leave the whole Arab world to somewhere else where I could find a chance to live as a normal human being with very basic set of rights and benefit humanity and myself.

I never thought that anything like #Jan25 would happen here but I couldn't resist to be part of it when it did.

The question that kept showing up in each possible occasion, on which all the writers wrote and people everywhere asked was:
Why and how come we, Egyptians, never revolt?!

Now, after the the question turned to be "Why do Arabs revolt?" it seems to me that many people around the world are impressed and inspired but are not trying to ask the question the right way.
When we say that we do care not only for Egypt but also for Libya, Tunisia, Sudan, Palestine, Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan how come they don't know about our motivations and connections?

The world around is becoming a small village, travel is easy and internet is full of information and still people have no clue about the political, economical, and social pressure we have been living up to and have no clue about the religious, cultural and social connections our region shares.

 We have always been suffering these things whether during the foreign colonization of the majority of countries in the middle east or afterwards. The uprisings were actually decades late, we should have done this a long time ago and the question should be reversed.

Those who revolted among us are the ones who happened to know more about "Their rights", have faith in "Themselves" and have "Courageousness" to encounter "corruption and injustice". 


If you are interested to know how I and like-minded people learned about our rights, had faith in ourselves, and had the guts to say speak up against tyranny, you have to meet and know about some of the names that were of an inspiration to me throughout my very short life. They all contributed somehow at some point in waking me up, opening my eyes and heart to see that there's something wrong out here with my reality and they give me an inspiration to how our world can become better.

I'm a female, Muslim, Arab, Egyptian and a human being after all. A complex combination in a complex world that happened to be a little bit more curious than many others around her and that's why I took the chance to be a tiny small influence in the huge Egyptian uprising and will do my best to help other people uprisings and revolutionaries everywhere.
Here is a list to begin with for some figures who continued to inspire me before and after the uprising.
 The prophets are my role models and example but I might not completely agree with some of the personalities, we might be from different backgrounds and ideologies, we might not share anything at all but that's my point: 
If you put personal bias, intolerance and stereotypes aside you can learn basically from everyone and possibly teach them back.
Do some research and you will find some of me in each of what you will find.
****************************

Prophet Muhammad
محمد صلى الله عليه و سلم

Prophet Jesus
عيسى عليه السلام

Prophet Moses
موسى عليه السلام
***************


Sultan Muhammad Fatih
السلطان محمد الفاتح

الناصر صلاح الدين الأيوبي
Salahuddin Al Ayoubi


Omar Al Mukhtar 
الشهيد عمر المختار أسد الصحراء

Dr. Abdul wahab El messeiri
الدكتور عبد الوهاب المسيري


Salman Al Ouda
الشيخ سلمان بن فهد العودة

Dr. Yusuf Qaradawi
الدكتور يوسف القرضاوي

Tamim Al Barghoothi
الشاعر تميم البرغوثي

Ahmed Matar
الشاعر أحمد مطر

Abdulrahman Al Ashmawy
 الشاعر عبد الرحمن العشماوي

Rachel Corrie
رايتشل كوري الناشطة الأمريكي التي قتلها العدوان الإسرائيلي

Ahmed Khaled Tawoufik
 أحمد خالد توفيق

Edward said
إدوارد سعيد

Anton Checov
أنطون تشيكوف

H.G Wells
هربرت جورج ويلز

Oscar Wilde 
أوسكار وايلد


Dawud/David Wharnsby Ali 
المطرب الكندي داوود وارنسبي علي

Mother Leila (Khaled Said's mom)
  ماما ليلى والدة خالد سعيد

4 comments:

عمرو فكرى said...

you didn't write about Khaled Said yet :)

Quran School said...

Well right the only problem with Muslims are they feel desperate when some one is against them . why not we convince them and show them bright side of the picture.

Hamid said...

salamunalaikum.


Alhumdulillah, I'm happy to land on your blog from sis ummtaqwa's blog.


I really admire all those Arabs who fight for their rights in the right way either with pen or tongue or righteous actions.

keep writing!

Eyewitness said...

Assalamu alaikum Sister,

I am afraid that what happened in the middle east recently would not help anyone except the western invaders.

I belong to Pakistan and we opened our eyes in a so called democratic system. What did the democracy brought for us in the last 60 years since independence? nothing except corruption and a nation divided into thousand pieces.

Muslim are different from the rest of the world we believe in a divine message that guides us in all spheres of life. I believe our success is only in Khilafah.

Don't we see in democracy might is right?
"Democracy is a form of government in which people are counted but not measured."

Where do the Iraqi and Afghani stand after this "generous help" (Invasion)of America?

My brothers and sisters do not invite the worst enemies of your religion into your lands, they would not ever wish your prosperity.
Only struggle for Khilafah.

"The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "It is obligatory upon you to listen and obey the orders of the ruler in prosperity and adversity, whether you are willing or unwilling, or when someone is given undue preference to you.''
[Muslim].

Dear Sister, I am sorry for disagreeing but thats how I think and know.

Wish you the best in this world and in the hereafter.