Wednesday, February 09, 2011

To be in Tahrir or not to be in Tahrir, that's the question



If you are not in Egypt and in Tahrir square specifically now you are missing a lot, everything!

I don't know where to start from or what day is it or how long it's been going. All I can say is I'm not the person I used to know before the 25th of January. For now I will just share what was written about me not what I want to say and I would appreciate if you shared it.

I'm still trying to get that I'm being talked about and being part of this! I'm not doing much compared to those who are sleeping in Tahrir since the whole thing started. I just have such a big mouth and can speak some English and that's how I ended up talking to all of these media people.

---------------------

1) This story is important as it tells how it all started and how it looked like right after the first day of the Revolution that we didn't expect.

I found Alex on a website the 26th of January while he was searching for stories about what happened in the 25th that we called "the Day of Anger" and started from a series of facebook pages and events. These were the very first thoughts I had about it.

"Fire in Cairo"

Alex Hoban

"I spoke to my friend Shima who was at yesterday’s riots with her sister. While they were lying on the ground getting trampled over and choking on tear gas, this US-made gas canister ricocheted off her and she started bleeding:

“I’ve never seen so many Egyptians gathering together since I was born,” she said. “I couldn’t believe it. They said that these numbers are the biggest since more than three decades." 

“There were about 70,000 in Tahrir Square where I went for the main protest. I could say we were even more than this, you could see on the horizon people of all classes and backgrounds and everything was happening very spontaneously.
“The government media is announcing false information all the time, and the newspapers still insist on calling us a minority, which is frustrating."

“I’ve always felt bad about being an Egyptian – I felt always weak, oppressed, pessimistic and shameful but this day changed all my feelings and perspectives 180 degrees. For the very first time, I feel truly proud of myself and my people and I’m very optimistic about the days ahead.

“It’s only after experiencing all this that the fear, hopelessness, shame and anger I used to have towards my country and people have disappeared. I will keep going out onto the streets.”

I didn't bring my camera first day and used my cell phone as I thought it would be "yet another fake protest". But I'm glad I was mistaken!

Check the albums here:

25th



28th



30th


_________________________________

2- This one could be my first face to face interview with a journalist, in my entire life actually.

I met Wieland Schneider in Tahrir along with one of his colleagues. He is working for Die press, Austria and has interviewed me about my views on the current situation of Egypt from the 25th of January and until the 5th of February:

"Sal will keine Angst mehr haben" 


The story is in German obviously.

___________________________________

Of course I'm not going to write anything myself now for a bunch of reasons:

1- The way the scene keeps changing is incredibly overwhelming!

2- I'm in the process of collecting and analyzing as much information as I can, it's no time for documentation.

3- Everyday I meet at least 5 tremendously inspiring people. I don't want to miss anything!

4- I want to write both in English and Arabic, for Egyptians, for Arabs, and for Westerners.

5- I'm asking and is being asked so many questions as long as I'm awake. My mouth is opened all the time and it's so tiring really. I tend to spend very little time at home trying to get ready for the next days.

6- This event is constantly changing the face of humanity _yeah literally!_ and it should be talked about when it becomes HISTORY and with no emotional stresses.

I will probably be writing a book ! I think I'm saving the ideas till the full picture is formulated.


You have definitely seen tons of pictures and videos and read hundreds of articles but I think there are people out there who do care and might like to check my own perspective, I'm sick of media and I know how sick most of you are too.

This is in case you are a friend of mine and happened to know me personally or you are a stranger who is going to be a friend of mine after this experience I'm going through.

I'm happy now that I can finally and clearly tell who's my friend and who's not especially when a great deal of my country's citizens are turning against me.
________________

Some random thoughts:

*I feel grateful for the fact I'm a human being and a part of this beautiful world I'm rediscovering now.

*"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act".

George Orwell

If I said this in front of an anti-revolution Egyptian now it means that I'm an "Agenda" kid.

* "Agenda kids, facebook losers, kids from the internet".

That's what they call us now on State TV and national press. It's funny some people are convinced. 

*مش هنمشي!

هو يمشي!

‎We will not leave!

He must leave!

Wir gehen nicht!

Mubarak soll gehen!

------------------------------

To my virtual friends who are genuinely concerned about Egypt, Egyptians and my own safety.

My heroes who are behind the screens, yes my heroes.

Your kind words, support and the photos from the marches mean the world to me!
I truly love you all!

From Cairo,

No comments: